Subject: Re: git-ls-files -l

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 03:01:06 -0800 (PST)

[email-masked] writes:

> Beginners, finding git-ls-files acts like ls,
> are baffled as to why they can't go on to ls -l.
> 
> The git-ls-files man page should reveal the secret of how also to see
> file sizes. Perhaps the closest one can get is
> $ git-ls-tree -l --abbrev ...

git-ls-tree has the '-l' option mimicking (somewhat) "ls -l" behaviour
only because it was thought to be useful for gitweb (to have file
sizes in 'tree' view, like cgit has it), although gitweb doesn't use
it yet.

I think it would be easy to add '-l' also to git-ls-files. Please
remember to provide size only for blobs, as provoding size for trees
would make it harder to change to future packv4, where tree objects
would be stored deconstructed.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git