Subject: Re: I want delete fault commit from my git repository

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:41:26 -0700 (PDT)

chongyc <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have found buggy commit object which I had committed into  git
> repository  wrongly
> 
> So I am going to delete it from my git repository
> 
> How to do it ?

If it is just created commit (and not yet published), use 
"git commit --amend" to correct it, or "git reset --hard HEAD^"
to just drop it.

If you have published history (somebody is relying on history
containing broken commit) the only way is to add commit reverting
changes brought by broken commit using git-revert.

If you can rewrite history, use "git rebase --interactive" and simply
remove the commit from instructions/series file if the commit you want
to remove is not too deep in history, or use git-filter-branch if
broken commit is somewhere deeper.  See documentation for details.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git