Subject: Re: Mercurial to git converter.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:48:14 -0700 (PDT)

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Nick Andrew wrote: 
>> Stelian Pop <stelian <at> popies.net> writes:
>> 
>>> hg-to-git.py can probably be greatly improved (it's a rather crude 
>>> combination of shell and python) but it does already work quite well 
>>> for me. [...]
[...]
 
> FWIW I switched my local mercurial2git conversion to the hg-fast-export 
> solution from 
> 
> 	git://repo.or.cz/fast-export.git
>
[...] 
> Originally, I did not try it because I thought it cannot operate in 
> incremental mode, but it can.

It can, or it can recently thanks to --export-marks / --import-marks
work?

It is nice that SCM-to-SCM converters seems to standarize on using
fast-import language as intermediary.  

IIRC fast-import by Shawn O. Pearce started as fast backend for first
cvs2git (unfortunately fork and not extension of cvs2svn) by Jon Smirl
(?) around time when Mozilla looked for SCM to move to from CVS.  (In
the end they choose Mercurial, mainly because of better Windows
support, and I think also better Windows GUI; I wonder how it works
for them now?).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git