Subject: Re: gitweb.css

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:07:00 -0700 (PDT)

Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've been customizing a gitweb server to fit with the rest of our
> project pages (the result is http://git.racket-lang.org/).  This was
> relatively easy to do except for a few places where gitweb.css
> specifies formatting for generic tags like `body', `table', and `td',
> which messed up our header.
> 
> Maybe it makes sense to localize these styles to to gitweb specific
> classes?  (I know that I can just use my own css, but the file is big
> enough that I prefer avoiding manually merging in updates.)

Can't you just override gitweb's CSS by your own CSS?  Later CSS wins.
You can have more than one stylesheet in gitweb (@stylesheets).

We could give class to `body' element, and the use it for other
class-less selectors (`'table', `'td', `a'), but I don't know if this
solution would be enought for you.  It means replacing 'body' selector
by e.g. '.gitweb_body' selector, and e.g. 'a' selector by
'.gitweb_body a' selector.

I'd rather not add 'gitweb' class (or similar) to every element just
to have common style for all links, tables, table header cells, table
cells.

P.S. while changing static/gitweb.css we could optimize it by removing
unnecessary parts of selector.  Contrary to what I thought more
detailed selector decreases rather than improves performance.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git