Subject: Re: Which VCS besides git?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:12:22 -0800 (PST)

Kārlis Repsons <[email-masked]> writes:

> which VCS besides git provide chaining of commits with help of some 
> cryptographic hash function, warning about or not allowing commits to be 
> deleted on an equivalent of pull action, so that all added pieces of data can 
> be retained securely on client side?

Could you rephrase your request in more clear way?

If you want to know which VCS beside Git use cryptographic hash
function over commit info and commit parentage as commit id, then both
Monotone (from which Git borrowed this idea) and Mercurial use it.

Bazaar, if I understand it correctly, and from what I remember, uses
some UUID which includes commit digest as a commit identifier, but I
don't know if Bazaar have immutable history.

In Subversion you can change svn:log (or something like that)
property, i.e. change commit message, after the fact; I don't think
there is any check for that.  CVS doesn't support changesets, so it is
out of question.

I don't know about Darcs, or BitKeeper, or ClearCase, or Perforce.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git