Subject: Re: Where does gitweb take the owner name from?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:12:31 -0700 (PDT)

"Erez Zilber" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On the main page of gitweb (the one that lists all projects), there's
> an "Owner" column. On my gitweb, it is empty for all projects. Where
> is this information taken from?
> 
> Here is how it looks on the server when I run 'ls -l':
> 
> drwxr-xr-x 7 erez.zilber linux 4096 Jun 25 17:36 my_test.git

Unfortunately it is not stated explicitely neither in gitweb/README,
not gitweb/INSTALL.

Nevertheless when you grep for 'owner' in gitweb/README you can find
the following fragments:

 * $projects_list
   Source of projects list, either directory to scan, or text file
   with list of repositories (in the "<URI-encoded repository path> SPC
   <URI-encoded repository owner>" line format, [...]).
   Set to $GITWEB_LIST during installation.  If empty, $projectroot is
   used to scan for repositories.

 [...]

 * gitweb.owner
   You can use the gitweb.owner repository configuration variable to set
   repository's owner. It is displayed in the project list and summary
   page. If it's not set, filesystem directory's owner is used
   (via GECOS field / real name field from getpwiud(3)).

(This might be present only in 'pu' branch, as it was part of my
patch adding support for optional 'description' field in $projects_list
file).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git