Subject: Re: [PATCHv5] Add Gitweb support for XZ compressed snapshots

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 01:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

"J.H." <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well you can always call xz with -[1-9] to change the compression
> level (same as gzip and bzip2) though I think a full disabling would
> be 'more' preferable, though I'm not sure I like Jakub's suggestion of
> just deleting it after the fact, it would work.
[...]

The problem is that 'keys %known_snapshot_formats' serves also as list
of allowed snapshot formats, if project specific override is enabled.
We can add another optional flag ('disabled' => 1) if you don't want
to delete from %known_snapshot_formats in $GITWEB_CONFIG, though I
don't know if it is worth it.  Anyway such mechanism can be added, and
IMHO should be added, in a separate commit.

> I think more my concern is more what's enabled by default, and since
> xz is still new (as was pointed out) it's probably worth only enabling
> if the admin selects it to be enabled.

By default (i.e. as in gitweb in git.git) 'snapshot' feature has
disabled projects specific override.  Which means only 'tgz' snapshot
is enabled / used.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git