Subject: Re: encrypted repositories?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 06:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

"Matthias Andree" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On a more general note, is someone looking into improving the http://
> efficiency?  Perhaps there are synergies between my plan of (a)
> encryption  and (b) more efficient "dumb" (http/rsync/...) protocol
> use.

There was idea about improving http:// efficiency, but it was via
crating git-over-HTTP aka. "smart" HTTP server, i.e. you would have to
have DAG exposed, like for git:// and ssh://

On the other hand for http:// server need only "dumb" web server, and
additional metadata generated by git-update-server-info.  It is client
who does "walking" the DAG, so all data including server metadata can
be encrypted, and decrypted on-the-fly by client.  

I don't know though what information leakage you would get from
existence of loose objects and packfiles, and their sizes.  Probably
negligible...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git