Subject: Re: is gitosis secure?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 02:47:31 -0800 (PST)

Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 2008-12-13, Nix <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > telnet. I do not jest, this is our sysadmins' stated reasons for not
> > opening the git port and for tweaking their (mandatory) HTTP proxy to
> > block HTTP traffic from git.
> 
> Wow -- my sympathies!
> 
> But on occasion, when real or imaginary issues prevented me
> from making a live connection, I have used "git bundle" to
> do the job.  Not as satisfactory as a real connection, but
> when you have a proper, non-fast-forwarding, repo as the
> "mother ship", git bundle with some custom procmail scripts
> on both sides can work OK enough.

Perhaps one would be interested in adding bundle support to gitweb.
The problem is in the interface, but I think in simplest case gitweb
could present 'bundle' link along snapshot link(s) in the 'heads' view
(showing branches), which link would generate bundle for a given
branch, starting from latest annotated tag.  But this is only for
download...
 
Another solution would be to help with "smart" HTTP protocol,
i.e. git-over-http solution.  This would hopefully change signature so
at least for some time it would pas proxy filters.  Also only for
download.

BTW. is outgoing SSH transport (from network to outside) blocked as
well?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git