Subject: Re: blame vs annotate?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:11:25 -0700 (PDT)

"Jonathan del Strother" <[email-masked]> writes:

> What's the difference between 'git blame' & 'git annotate'?  The
> output is practically identical - it's not obvious when you would use
> one over the other

Long, long time ago (which in git terms mean almost 2 years ago:
git-annotate.perl was removed on Oct 9, 2006) there were two competing
implementations: git-annotate, which IIRC was first (starting at Feb
20, 2006) and was written in Perl, and git-blame (stated at Feb 21,
2006) which was written in C.  In long term git-blame won, if I
remember correctly because it avoided some strange corner case, and
assigned blame better.  Then git-annotate was made alias to "git-blame
-c", perhaps in additon to different synopsis (order of arguments and
possible options), for backward compatibility.

HTH.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git