Subject: Re: cvs -> git tools?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:02:44 -0800 (PST)

Gonzalo Garramuño <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was wondering if there were any tools to keep a mirror repository of
> CVS as a git repository.
> 
> Basically, I would like to mirror a CVS repository (that I don't
> control) as a git "main" branch.  This CVS repository is live and
> expected to remain so.
> 
> I would then work on another git branch and would do merges from the
> main branch to mine as I see fit to develop some stuff.
> 
> Is there anything like that?   Basically, I'm looking for the
> equivalent of Tailor for Mercurial.

Tailor supports Git, too.

There are many CVS -> git tools: git-cvsimport (uses cvsps), parsecvs
(accesses ,v files directly), fromcvs (in Ruby), cvs2svn development
branch. But I think only git-cvsimport allows incremental import.

Another solution would be to set Git repository as a fake CVS
repository using git-cvsserver (now with beginning of authenticated
pserver access!).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git