Subject: A better git log --graph?

From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:23:00 +0100

Hi everyone,

git log --graph is hard for me to parse mentally when developing a
project which has a lot of branches.

All the tools I've been using seem to just parse log --graph's output,
and thus are no better at showing history.

I would love to have a graph mode where each branch is assigned a
column, and stays there. If my log section shows the history of 3
branches, column 1 should always refer to master, 2 to the hypothetical
"development" branch and 3 to "feature".

Of course the mode will waste more horizontal space, but it would be
immediately more apparent which branch is merging into which.

I saw this idea proposed a couple of times in the mailing list, but I
saw no "action" behind the proposal. Since I don't have time to work on
it, has anyone already started some work that he would like to share as
a starting point? Even just to have a felling if it's worth the effort.

Does anybody know of another tool to graph the history using something
that is not based on git log --graph?

I've seen a couple of graphviz-based ones, but both failed to work out
of the box for me.

Thanks a lot for any pointer.