Subject: Re: git svn clone fails

From: Jörg Schaible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:38:06 +0200

Hi Torsten,

thanks for an answer ...

Torsten Bögershausen wrote:

> On 2015-08-14 09.51, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> I can't reproduce it here:
> 
>  git svn clone http://websvn/svn/essvn/standard/java-commons/lang
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/xx/lang/.git/
> RA layer request failed: OPTIONS of
> 'http://websvn/svn/essvn/standard/java-commons/lang': Could not resolve
> hostname `websvn': Host not found (http://websvn) at
> /Users/xx/lib/perl5/site_perl/Git/SVN.pm line 143

It is unfortunately not possible to provide this Subversion repo to the 
public.
 
> In other words, is there a way to make this reproducible for others?

Actually I hoped, that my report raised some memories, because errors with 
this symptom had been examined before and some kind of fix has been added 
(according http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25353316/error-with-git-svn-clone) to GIT 2.4.x. However, it seems there's still an issue even in GIT 
2.5.0 when the svn repo contains empty directories that have to be preserved 
...

> If not, how could the problem be tracked down and fixed
> (from other people than you or somebody in your organization ?)

Actually I am not sure. I tried to create a little dummy project in a 
Subversion test repository that contains also empty directories which have 
to be preserved ... but the conversion for it works flawlessly. Even if 
those dirs had been nested, renamed, moved and deleted.

Any idea how to proceed?

Cheers,
Jörg