Subject: Re: git svn clone fails

From: Jörg Schaible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:47:15 +0200

Hi Thorsten,

there's more fun though. GIT (2.4.6) fails differently if I add additionally 
the "--no-minimize-url":

==================== %< =================
[...]
W: -empty_dir: trunk/src/test/serialization/com/elsagsolutions
r40223 = 7983efa910e6cd606cc63a6b6b365048df1e11a9 
(refs/remotes/origin/trunk)
        M       src/main/java/com/scalaris/commons/lang/util/ArrayUtils.java
r40261 = ecf4747a88073353c9731e6e69c079d66e7aac2d 
(refs/remotes/origin/trunk)
        M       
src/test/java/com/scalaris/commons/lang/util/ArrayUtilsTestCase.java
r40262 = 96eda7427de3f1c082e88c23458be197a3b20a7a 
(refs/remotes/origin/trunk)
        M       changes.xml
        A       src/main/java/com/scalaris/commons/lang/net/MimeTypes.java
r41127 = 00d0a652e5ef20c18b9d4764dd70383c1d10177b 
(refs/remotes/origin/trunk)
        M       changes.xml
Failed to strip path 
'src/main/java/com/elsagsolutions/commons/lang/io/.gitignore' ((?^:^trunk(/|
$)))
==================== %< =================

the error in the Perl module happens only without that option. Both errors 
do not occur without option "--preserve-empty-dirs".

Torsten Bögershausen wrote:

> On 2015-08-14 12.38, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Any idea how to proceed?
> 
> Git itself doesn't version empty directories at all, only files
> (and soft links, sub modules....).

I know, but "git svn clone" creates a .gitignore file in such a case.

> Git creates a directory as a "side effect" to be able to store files
> there.
> 
> May be I am off-topic, but would it be possible to fill the empty
> directories with a dummy file ".empty" ?

That does not help when converting the Subversion history. It's failing long 
before HEAD of trunk.

> Add those to svn and force Git to create a nearly empty directory.

That's what GIT normally does by default on its own. However, I cannot 
change the Subversion history. GIT has to deal with it while converting (and 
normally it does, as my test proofed with the demo Subversion project).

Cheers,
Jörg