Subject: Git's inconsistent command line options

From: "Graeme Geldenhuys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:01:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I've used Git for years and this has always bothered me. Has anybody
else noticed the inconsistent command line parameteres for seemingly
similar tasks. There are many examples, but I'll list only two (I can
supply a more extensive list if needed).

eg: Renaming things.

 * When working with branches it uses "-m" or "-M" to rename a branch.

 * When working with remote repos it use "rename"  (not even the more
common -- prefix either).

eg: Deleting things

  * When working with branches it uses "-d" or "-D" to delete a branch

  * When working with remote branch it uses only a push command.

  * When deleting a remote repo it uses "remove" (again not even with
the commonly used -- prefix)

Even though I have worked with Git since 2009, I still have to
reference the help to remind me of what parameter to use in certain
situation simply because similar tasks differ so much.

Maybe we could address this in the next major version of Git? Has
anybody else thought about this or started work on this? Or was this
discussed before and declined (link?).

Regards,
  Graeme