Subject: Re: chainlink.pl /proc/cpuinfo regexp fails on s390x

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:27:05 +0100

On Nov 22 2022, Eric Sunshine wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 6:37 PM Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Nov 22 2022, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
>> > /^processor[\s\d]*:/
>> > or something else.
>>
>> Something else.
>>
>> $ getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN
>
> Yes, that works too and was (I'm pretty sure) considered during
> development. The reason /proc/cpu was chosen over `getconf` was that
> opening & reading /proc/cpu should be faster since it doesn't involve
> spawning a process. If we did use `getconf`, we'd have to be careful
> to degrade gracefully if `getconf` isn't available or if the
> configuration parameter (i.e. "_NPROCESSORS_ONLN") isn't known on the
> platform.

getconf is surely more portable than poking in /proc, especially
/proc/cpuinfo is the antipode of portability.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."