Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] fsck: mention file path for index errors

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 14:15:39 +0200

On Feb 24 2023, Jeff King wrote:

> If we encounter an error in an index file, we may say something like:
>
>   error: 1234abcd: invalid sha1 pointer in resolve-undo
>
> But if you have multiple worktrees, each with its own index, it can be
> very helpful to know which file had the problem. So let's pass that path
> down through the various index-fsck functions and use it where
> appropriate. After this patch you should get something like:
>
>   error: 1234abcd: invalid sha1 pointer in resolve-undo of .git/worktrees/wt/index

That is still suboptimal, because there is no obvious mapping from the
internal worktree name to the directory where it lives (git worktree
list doesn't mention the internal name).  If you have several worktrees
with the same base name in different places, the name under
.git/worktrees is just made unique by appending a number.  Normally you
would want to change to the affected worktree directory to repair it.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."