Subject: Re: Subtree in Git

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:47:19 -0500

Herman van Rink <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem is that I don't have the time to split all these out. Dag
> has indicated that he does not have the time either.

I would have the time to review and integrate separate patches.  I do
not have time to unwrap the ball of wax and ensure the quality of each
feature and bug fix.  That is the responsibility of the submitter.  You
can't expect reviewers to do your work for you.  I'm not being harsh, it
is simply the reality of how things work in every project I've been
involved with.

> This single ball of wax was already an alternative to the 'messy' merge
> history it had accumulated. The result of merging from dozens of github
> forks with numerous levels of parallel/contra-productive whitspace fixes.

Yes, we don't really want that history.  You have a single patch now.  A
series of git rebase -i + git add -i should make it easy to separate it
into patches for each feature and bug fix, as I suggested previously.

It really, really shouldn't be that hard unless the code is atrocious.

                            -David