Subject: Re: Subtree in Git

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:44:29 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I haven't formed an opinion on the particular change as to how bad
> its collapsing unrelated changes into a single change is. Maybe they
> are not as unrelated and form a coherent whole.  Maybe not.  

It is difficult for me to tell which is one of the red flags that caused
me to request breaking it up.  It's much to hard to review this patch as
it is.  It conflates multiple features and bug fixes.  It includes
comments to the effect of, "I don't like this but I don't know of a
better way."  Part of the reson we do reviews is to have people help out
and find a better way.  I don't think people can do that with the way
the patch is currently structured.

> Note that I was not following the thread very closely, so I may have
> misread the discussion.  I read his "Unless Junio accepts..." to
> mean "I (dag) still object, but if Junio accepts that patch I object
> to directly, there is nothing I can do about it".  That is very
> different from "I am on the fence and cannot decide it is a good
> patch or not.  I'll let Junio decide; I am OK as long as he is".

Yopur first reading is the correct one.

                              -David