Subject: Re: Subtree in Git

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:21:08 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This branch seems to have a bunch of commits from master or some other
>> branch:
>
> Isn't the confusing shape of the history a direct result of what Herman
> said he did above, i.e. use of "subtree merge"?  I thought that we agreed
> not to do any more subtree merges for further updates when we slurped the
> subtree history to contrib/ early in this cycle, so if that is the case,
> Herman needs to rebase his work so that the integration will not need any
> "subtree merge" into git.git, perhaps?

I think you're right.

> In short, it is a mess.

I agree.  I think Herman is working to fix it.  A rebase and rework of
the patch set would be very helpful.

> Not very impressed, but I have this suspition that the history I was
> looking at was not what was meant to be sent to me and an older
> incarnation of the project before Herman cleaned it up for public
> consumption, or something.

That's the impression I got as well.

I haven't had a chance to look at Herman's latest tree.

                            -Dave