Subject: Re: Subtree in Git

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:41:32 -0500

Herman van Rink <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 10/21/2012 08:32 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Herman van Rink <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Junio, Could you please consider merging the single commit from my
>>> subtree-updates branch? https://github.com/helmo/git/tree/subtree-updates
>> In general, in areas like contrib/ where there is a volunteer area
>> maintainer, unless the change something ultra-urgent (e.g. serious
>> security fix) and the area maintainer is unavailable, I'm really
>> reluctant to bypass and take a single patch that adds many things
>> that are independent from each other.
>
> Who do you see as volunteer area maintainer for contrib/subtree?
> My best guess would be Dave. And he already indicated earlier in the
> thread to be ok with the combined patch as long as you are ok with it.

Let's be clear.  Junio owns the project so what he says goes, no
question.  I provided some review feedback which I thought would help
the patches get in more easily.  We really shouldn't be adding multiple
features in one patch.  This is easily separated into multiple patches.

Then there is the issue of testcases.  We should NOT have git-subtree go
back to the pre-merge _ad_hoc_ test environment.  We should use what the
usptream project uses.  That will make mainlining this much easier in
the future.

If Junio is ok with overriding my decisions here, that's fine.  But I
really don't understand why you are so hesitant to rework the patches
when it should be realtively easy.  Certainly easier than convincing me
they are in good shape currently.  :)

                            -David