Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] To make GIT-VERSION-FILE, search for git more widely

From: "Matthias Andree" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:17:09 +0200

Am 09.05.2009, 18:55 Uhr, schrieb Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>:

> "Matthias Andree" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Fine then.  Or you could just append "." to the $PATH ;-)
>>
>> "." in the super user's PATH? Cool stuff, and so innovative.
>
> I didn't mean to suggest PATH=$PATH:. *in the user's environment* ;-).
> You do that inside GIT-VERSION-FILE, which is essentially the same thing
> as running ./git$X from there.

No, it is not -- the scope of the GIT variable is much narrower than doing  
PATH=$PATH:. in the script.

BTW, in the earlier version, I used type(1) to take $PATH search into  
account in case GIT=git; test -x does not do path search, unlike type.

> What's innovative is whoever is running build as root.

Yes, and that is why I found the PATH-dependent behaviour so irritating  
and wanted to fix it. I have another approach cooking that entails  
factoring out common code from ./git-gui/GIT-VERSION-GEN and  
./GIT-VERSION-GEN into ./git-gui/GIT-VERSION-SUBR.

For any approach taken, we'll have to touch both the shell and the  
Makefile, unless we want to manually redo things in the GIT-VERSION-GEN  
script that were already done automatically or programmatically in  
Makefile.

Please let me know if you're willing to accept a patch that touches both  
Makefile and the GIT-VERSION-* shell scripts. If you don't, I can quit  
here and not waste further time on submissions that are inacceptable  
anyhow, but just keep rebasing my local patch instead.

Best regards

-- 
Matthias Andree