Subject: Re: git-tag bug? confusing git fast-export with double tag objects

From: "Matthias Andree" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:39:43 +0200

Am 14.05.2009, 15:16 Uhr, schrieb Alex Riesen <[email-masked]>:

> It may be not what your wanted, but it is how it is expected to work. If  
> git tag would reduce its arguments down to commits, it would be  
> impossible to sign tags at all (strictly speaking: it would be  
> impossible to create a
> tag, referencing another tag). Which is useful thing to have.

I'll kindly ask you again: please read my messages completely and  
carefully.

I gave up the idea of reducing tag objects to referencing commits two  
messages ago. That was one simple, early, and insufficient suggestion of  
mine to address the bug. It is no longer brought forward.

The bug itself (references to 'deleted' or 'replaced' tag objects remain  
reachable rather than becoming dangling) is still there without a  
suggestion to the solution, and you're uselessly the bug.

I may be wrong, but I do believe you still haven't understood my report -  
this may well be a problem in my way of phrasing it. So let's try this:

If you do not understand parts of the problem, please ask specific  
questions.

If you do not understand enough of this problem to ask such questions,  
please ignore this thread.

Please do not waste someone else's time by keeping up a discussion of  
arguments I've withdrawn hours ago.
I'm not going to repeat earlier reasons either.

-- 
Matthias Andree