Subject: Re: Question about commit message wrapping

From: "Frans Klaver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:16:49 +0100

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:37:13 +0100, Holger Hellmuth <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

>> I am starting to think that we need to somehow keep the current
>> behavior, but override at smaller widths. Maybe even use format=flowed
>> in format-patch.
>
> Could you explain what overriding at smaller widths would achieve?  
> Supporting format=flowed would be nice though.

I specifically meant trying to detect pre-wrapped text, removing the  
new-lines where we think it is because of wrapping at 80 characters. So  
the result would be: perfect on screens up to 80 characters wide, and ok  
on anything wider.

The implementation of that however could affect code in the mail if it  
isn't done properly.

>
>> On the other hand, the fundamental use with git is to
>> communicate code, and I'm not sure how that [cw]ould be handled.
>
> I prefer wrapped code to code that is cut of at a specific column.  
> Wrapped code has much less possibility for misinterpretation. Python  
> programmers might disagree?

Wrapped code as in auto-wrapped? Or as in manually wrapped? Python  
programmers have significant white space, but you can still hard wrap  
stuff, as long as the next statement is properly indented.

>
> I see your proposal mainly as an improvement to the display of texts,  
> not code.

Me too.

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/