Subject: git checkout -b following git reset --hard pitfall

From: "Maris, Rob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:25:48 +0200

Normally, when there are modifications in the working tree not yet added  
resp. committed, git will refuse to change to another branch.
However, when I create a new branch on the fly, using git checkout -b  
<branch>, there is no complaint appearing. After doing so, I executed a  
git reset --hard in once case, just thinking that the previous "modified"  
branch status was preserved. Of course, this notion is incorrect. But I  
realised this after a bit of thinking about it. Actually, the modified  
status of git related to both branches after git checkout -b can have  
following consequences:

- it is lost definitely when git reset -hard is executed
- if committed, it is committed into the newly created branch

This actually constitutes an asymmetric response (perceived double  
deletion vs. single preservation).
I'd wish that git checkout displays *at least* a warning when a "modified"  
state is not committed:  "warning: Your local changes to the following  
files are no longer associated with the previous branch:"

-Rob

git version 1.7.11