Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: correct trailer `key_value_separator` description

From: Linus Arver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:29:35 -0700

"Brian Lyles" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Linus
>
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 1:53 AM Linus Arver <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Nit: This line was modified to have " each" at the end. If you did that
>> on the next line, then this diff could have been a touch smaller.
>
> [...] Is there a documented guideline to follow here, both in
> terms of preferred wrap width as well as when it might be appropriate to
> stray from it for reasons such as this?

WRT line lengths, probably 80-ish columns is the (unwritten?) rule. The
text files aren't really meant for end-user consumption (that's what the
manpage and HTML formats are for), so I think it's OK if the line
lengths are roughly in the same ballpark (no need to worry too much
about exact lengths).

When I contributed some patches to the docs last year, I was advised to
minimize diffs where appropriate, to make it easier for reviewers. In
this case it didn't matter too much (the patch being so small), but I
thought it was still worth mentioning. /shrug