Subject: [PATCH] doc: join default pre-commit paragraphs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2025 08:27:11 +0100

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

Join two paragraphs that start with the standard “The default <hook>,
when enabled” into one and put it at the end of the “pre-commit”
section.

The trailing whitespace paragraph was added in the first commit for the
doc, in 6d35cc76 (Document hooks., 2005-09-02). Then 3e14dd2c (mention
use of "hooks.allownonascii" in "man githooks", 2019-02-20) updated the
“pre-commit” section to mention the non-ASCII check that was added in
d00e364d.[1] But this paragraph was added one-past the original
“default” paragraph, after the env. variable paragraph, and starts
exactly the same. That causes the flow of this section to feel
off (paragraphs in order):

1. Invoked by <cmd> and what parameters it takes
2. The default 'pre-commit' hook catches introduction of trailing
   whitespace
3. `GIT_EDITOR=:`
4. The default pre-commit' hook catches introduction of non-ASCII
   filenames

Let’s instead join these two paragrahs and explain the whole behavior of
the default script.

† 1: Extend sample pre-commit hook to check for non ascii filenames,
     2009-05-19

Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/githooks.adoc | 11 ++++-------
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/githooks.adoc b/Documentation/githooks.adoc
index 0397dec64d7..056553788d4 100644
--- a/Documentation/githooks.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/githooks.adoc
@@ -103,17 +103,14 @@ invoked before obtaining the proposed commit log message and
 making a commit.  Exiting with a non-zero status from this script
 causes the `git commit` command to abort before creating a commit.
 
-The default 'pre-commit' hook, when enabled, catches introduction
-of lines with trailing whitespaces and aborts the commit when
-such a line is found.
-
 All the `git commit` hooks are invoked with the environment
 variable `GIT_EDITOR=:` if the command will not bring up an editor
 to modify the commit message.
 
-The default 'pre-commit' hook, when enabled--and with the
-`hooks.allownonascii` config option unset or set to false--prevents
-the use of non-ASCII filenames.
+The default 'pre-commit' hook, when enabled, prevents the introduction
+of non-ASCII filenames and lines with trailing whitespace. The non-ASCII
+check can be turned off by setting the `hooks.allownonascii` config
+option to `true`.
 
 pre-merge-commit
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

base-commit: 9a2fb147f2c61d0cab52c883e7e26f5b7948e3ed
-- 
2.52.0.10.g08704017180