Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Switch default merge backend from recursive to ort

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 05:38:00 +0000

This is a reroll of my RFC series[1] to switch the default merge backend
from recursive to ort. The consensus seems to be that we should do this
immediately after the 2.33 release.

Note that folks who want to get the old merge backend after this series can
simply set pull.twohead=recursive. (And, similarly, before this series,
those who want to try out ort in Git 2.32 or Git 2.33 can set
pull.twohead=ort.)

Changes since the RFC version of this series:

 * Now depends on the reroll of en/merge-strategy-docs I just submitted[2].
 * Made tweaks to code and documentation suggested by Stolee, Dscho, and
   Ævar

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Elijah Newren (2):
  Change default merge backend from recursive to ort
  Update docs for change of default merge backend

 Documentation/git-rebase.txt       | 28 ++++-----
 Documentation/gitfaq.txt           |  2 +-
 Documentation/merge-options.txt    |  2 +-
 Documentation/merge-strategies.txt | 93 ++++++++++++++++--------------
 Documentation/user-manual.txt      |  2 +-
 builtin/merge.c                    | 10 +++-
 builtin/rebase.c                   |  2 +-
 sequencer.c                        |  4 +-
 8 files changed, 78 insertions(+), 65 deletions(-)

base-commit: 4a78ac53424525d7099867d5a4377b8afb9bf18f
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1011%2Fnewren%2Fort-default-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1011/newren/ort-default-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1011
-- 
gitgitgadget