Subject: [PATCH v5 0/3] test-lib-functions.sh: keep user's HOME, TERM and SHELL for 'test_pause' and 'debug'

From: "Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 04:38:57 +0000

Changes since v4:

 * 3/3: use a for loop instead of while loop + heredoc, it's simpler and the
   need for the later did not match the code.

v4:

 * 2/3: improved the wording for the warning and caution as suggested by
   Elijah,, and moved the warning so it relates to the use of test_pause
   itself, not just the new flags, as suggested by Junio. Adapted the commit
   messages accordingly.
 * 3/3: changed the approach: instead of changing HOME, just copy ~/.gdbinit
   and ~/.lldbinit to the test HOME, as suggested by Carlo. This seems safer
   as this way $USER_HOME/.gitconfig does not interfere with the behaviour
   of the command being debugged (as Junio remarked in [1], but for
   test_pause). If other config files are needed for other debuggers, they
   can be added when the need arises.
 * [23]/3: also adapted the synopsys of 'test_pause' and 'debug' in t/README
   for better discoverability of the new features.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

v3:

 * Added '-a' flag as suggested by Elijah, equivalent to '-t -s -h' for
   'test_pause' and to '-t -h' for 'debug'

v2:

 * added 1/3 as a preliminary step to use TEST_SHELL_PATH in test_pause
   instead of SHELL_PATH, as suggested by Carlo
 * implemented the change in behaviour through optional flags in both
   test_pause and debug. This seemed to be the simplest way to keep the
   current behaviour but also provide a way to improve the UX.

v1: This series proposes two small quality-of-life improvements (in my
opinion) to the 'test_pause' and 'debug' test functions: using the original
values of HOME and TERM (before they are changed by the test framework) and
using SHELL instead of SHELL_PATH.

The later might be too big of a change, but I think it makes sense. We could
add a new GIT_TEST_* to conditionnaly change the behaviour, but I kept it
simple for v1.

Cheers, Philippe.

Philippe Blain (3):
  test-lib-functions: use 'TEST_SHELL_PATH' in 'test_pause'
  test-lib-functions: optionally keep HOME, TERM and SHELL in
    'test_pause'
  test-lib-functions: keep user's debugger config files and TERM in
    'debug'

 t/README                |  11 +++--
 t/test-lib-functions.sh | 107 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
 t/test-lib.sh           |   6 ++-
 3 files changed, 103 insertions(+), 21 deletions(-)

base-commit: 225bc32a989d7a22fa6addafd4ce7dcd04675dbf
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1022%2Fphil-blain%2Ftest-pause-and-debug-easier-v5
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1022/phil-blain/test-pause-and-debug-easier-v5
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1022

Range-diff vs v4:

 1:  2f566f330e0 = 1:  2f566f330e0 test-lib-functions: use 'TEST_SHELL_PATH' in 'test_pause'
 2:  a231d560e68 = 2:  a231d560e68 test-lib-functions: optionally keep HOME, TERM and SHELL in 'test_pause'
 3:  a8b12788fa4 ! 3:  ebf92b6b2c3 test-lib-functions: keep user's debugger config files and TERM in 'debug'
     @@ Commit message
          HOME to USER_HOME as in 'test_pause' to avoid user configuration in
          $USER_HOME/.gitconfig from interfering with the command being debugged.
      
     -    Note that we use a while loop and a heredoc to protect against
     -    $USER_HOME containing spaces.
     -
          Also, add a flag to launch the debugger with the original value of
          TERM, and add the same warning as for 'test_pause'.
      
     @@ t/test-lib-functions.sh: test_pause () {
      +		shift
      +	done &&
      +
     -+	dotfiles="
     -+	.gdbinit
     -+	.lldbinit
     -+	"
     -+	while read -r dotfile
     ++	dotfiles=".gdbinit .lldbinit"
     ++
     ++	for dotfile in $dotfiles
      +	do
      +		dotfile="$USER_HOME/$dotfile" &&
      +		test -f "$dotfile" && cp "$dotfile" "$HOME" || :
     -+	done <<-EOF &&
     -+	$dotfiles
     -+	EOF
     ++	done &&
      +
      +	TERM="$DEBUG_TERM" GIT_DEBUGGER="${GIT_DEBUGGER}" "$@" <&6 >&5 2>&7 &&
      +
     -+	while read -r dotfile
     ++	for dotfile in $dotfiles
      +	do
      +		rm -f "$HOME/$dotfile"
     -+	done <<-EOF
     -+	$dotfiles
     -+	EOF
     ++	done
       }
       
       # Usage: test_commit [options] <message> [<file> [<contents> [<tag>]]]

-- 
gitgitgadget