Subject: [PATCH 0/7] Builtin FSMonitor Part 1

From: "Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:36:10 +0000

In July I sent the V3 version [3] of my Builtin FSMonitor series [1,2,3].
This has been in "seen" as branch jh/builtin-fsmonitor. At 34 commits, it
was already a little too big to easily review. With the feed back on [3] and
from people using the experimental version that we shipped with
git-for-windows v2.32 and v2.33, I've prepared a new V4 version. This can be
seen in [4].

However, this new version currently contains 58 commits and is way too big
to be submitted as is. So I would like to close or discard the original V3
branch and submit V4 in pieces to make it easier to review.

Here is Part 1 of (what would be V4 of) my Builtin FSMonitor series.

Part 1 contains:

 * A fix for a memory leak in the Trace2 code. (This was independently
   reported in last week in "ab/tr2-leaks-and-fixes".)
 * Various cleanups in the simple-ipc layer.
 * A new start_bg_command() function to launch a command into the background
   and wait for it to start. And a refactored consumer of it in
   test-simple-ipc. There was a large discussion on commit 14/34 in V3 [5
   thru 6] about the large ifdef'd blocks of platform specific code to spawn
   background commands, trace2 handling, and duplicated code in
   fsmonitor--daemon.c and in test-simple-ipc. That has all been addressed
   here.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[3]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[4] https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/923 [5]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/9fe9[email-masked]/
[6] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jeff Hostetler (7):
  trace2: fix memory leak of thread name
  simple-ipc: preparations for supporting binary messages.
  simple-ipc: move definition of ipc_active_state outside of ifdef
  simple-ipc/ipc-win32: add trace2 debugging
  simple-ipc/ipc-win32: add Windows ACL to named pipe
  run-command: create start_bg_command
  t/helper/simple-ipc: convert test-simple-ipc to use start_bg_command

 compat/simple-ipc/ipc-unix-socket.c |  14 +-
 compat/simple-ipc/ipc-win32.c       | 176 +++++++++++++++++++--
 run-command.c                       | 123 +++++++++++++++
 run-command.h                       |  48 ++++++
 simple-ipc.h                        |  21 +--
 t/helper/test-simple-ipc.c          | 227 ++++++++--------------------
 trace2/tr2_tls.c                    |   1 +
 7 files changed, 416 insertions(+), 194 deletions(-)

base-commit: 8b7c11b8668b4e774f81a9f0b4c30144b818f1d1
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1040%2Fjeffhostetler%2Fbuiltin-fsmonitor-part1-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1040/jeffhostetler/builtin-fsmonitor-part1-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1040
-- 
gitgitgadget