Subject: [PATCH 0/2] [RFC] Switch default merge backend from recursive to ort

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 00:07:39 +0000

This is an RFC series designed to spur feedback about switching the default
merge backend (reviewing the patches is of secondary importance at this
point). Some questions:

 * Are there things others want before this series is considered for
   inclusion?
 * What kind of timeline do others think is reasonable?
 * Would it be beneficial to let this series sit in 'next' for an extended
   duration to gain more feedback?

Some potentially useful context in relation to the above:

 * I've personally used the ort backend for well over a year
 * I have ~50 testers using ort as the default merge backend since Nov.
   2020.
 * ort fixes known bugs in recursive, and there are no known regressions
   (more testers may change that)
 * ort is significantly faster than recursive
 * ort provides one new feature already, and enables more that are on the
   way
 * The commit message of patch 1 has more details about the last three items
   above

So...thoughts?

Elijah Newren (2):
  Change default merge backend from recursive to ort
  Update docs for change of default merge backend

 Documentation/git-rebase.txt                  | 17 ++--
 Documentation/gitfaq.txt                      |  2 +-
 Documentation/merge-options.txt               |  4 +-
 Documentation/merge-strategies.txt            | 98 +++++++++++--------
 .../technical/directory-rename-detection.txt  | 14 +--
 Documentation/user-manual.txt                 |  2 +-
 builtin/merge.c                               | 10 +-
 builtin/rebase.c                              |  2 +-
 sequencer.c                                   |  4 +-
 9 files changed, 89 insertions(+), 64 deletions(-)

base-commit: eb27b338a3e71c7c4079fbac8aeae3f8fbb5c687
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1055%2Fnewren%2Fort-default-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1055/newren/ort-default-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1055
-- 
gitgitgadget