Subject: [PATCH 00/10] Documentation updates: merge-strategies

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 15:35:10 +0000

I noticed while updating my switch-default-merge-strategy-to-ort submission,
that many of the changes were good documentation updates that we might want
for Git v2.33.0. So I pulled those changes out and split them into lots of
little commits so that if any parts need discussion or are objectionable, we
can just drop those from this series and apply the rest for v2.33.0.

The first 9 commits are just small documentation updates, but there is one
commit at the end that updates an error message and a code comment.

Elijah Newren (10):
  git-rebase.txt: correct antiquated claims about --rebase-merges
  directory-rename-detection.txt: small updates due to merge-ort
    optimizations
  Documentation: edit awkward references to `git merge-recursive`
  merge-strategies.txt: update wording for the resolve strategy
  merge-strategies.txt: do not imply using copy detection is desired
  merge-strategies.txt: avoid giving special preference to patience
    algorithm
  merge-strategies.txt: explain why no-renames might be useful
  merge-strategies.txt: fix simple capitalization error
  Documentation: add coverage of the `ort` merge strategy
  Update error message and code comment

 Documentation/git-rebase.txt                  | 29 ++++++----
 Documentation/merge-options.txt               |  4 +-
 Documentation/merge-strategies.txt            | 56 +++++++++++--------
 .../technical/directory-rename-detection.txt  | 14 +++--
 builtin/merge.c                               |  2 +-
 sequencer.c                                   |  2 +-
 6 files changed, 63 insertions(+), 44 deletions(-)

base-commit: 66262451ec94d30ac4b80eb3123549cf7a788afd
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1059%2Fnewren%2Fort-doc-updates-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1059/newren/ort-doc-updates-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1059
-- 
gitgitgadget