Subject: [PATCH v14 0/3] am: support --empty=(die|drop|keep) option and --allow-empty option to handle empty patches

From: "Aleen via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 03:37:25 +0000

Since that git has supported the --always option for the git-format-patch
command to create a patch with an empty commit message, git-am should
support applying and committing with empty patches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v1:

 1. add a case when not passing the --always option.
 2. rename the --always option to --allow-empty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v2:

 1. rename the --allow-empty option to --empty-commit.
 2. introduce three different strategies (die|skip|asis) when trying to
    record empty patches as empty commits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v3:

 1. generate the missed file for test cases.
 2. grep -f cannot be used under Mac OS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v4:

 1. rename the --empty-commit option to --empty.
 2. rename three different strategies (die|skip|asis) to die, drop and keep
    correspondingly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v5:

 1. throw an error when passing --empty option without value.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v6:

 1. add i18n resources.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v7:

 1. update code according to the seen branch.
 2. fix the wrong document of git-am.
 3. sign off commits by a real name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v8:

 1. update the committer's name with my real name to fix DCO of GGG.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v9:

 1. imitate the signed name format of
    https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]
    .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v11:

 1. introduce an interactive option --allow-empty for git-am to record empty
    patches in the middle of an am session.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v12:

 1. record the empty patch as an empty commit only when there are no
    changes.
 2. fix indentation problems.
 3. simplify "to keep recording" to "to record".
 4. add a test case for skipping empty patches via the --skip option.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v13:

 1. add an additional description about the 'die' value.

徐沛文 (Aleen) (3):
  doc: git-format-patch: describe the option --always
  am: support --empty=<option> to handle empty patches
  am: support --allow-empty to record specific empty patches

 Documentation/git-am.txt           | 16 +++++-
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt |  6 ++-
 builtin/am.c                       | 82 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
 t/t4150-am.sh                      | 73 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7512-status-help.sh             |  1 +
 wt-status.c                        |  3 ++
 6 files changed, 166 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

base-commit: abe6bb3905392d5eb6b01fa6e54d7e784e0522aa
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1076%2Faleen42%2Fnext-v14
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1076/aleen42/next-v14
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1076

Range-diff vs v13:

 1:  a524ca6adfa = 1:  a524ca6adfa doc: git-format-patch: describe the option --always
 2:  a3e850bab7d ! 2:  b6a04fc12df am: support --empty=<option> to handle empty patches
     @@ Documentation/git-am.txt: OPTIONS
       
      +--empty=(die|drop|keep)::
      +	By default, or when the option is set to 'die', the command
     -+	errors out on an input e-mail message that lacks a patch. When
     -+	this option is set to 'drop', skip such an e-mail message instead.
     ++	errors out on an input e-mail message lacking a patch
     ++	and stops into the middle of the current am session. When this
     ++	option is set to 'drop', skip such an e-mail message instead.
      +	When this option is set to 'keep', create an empty commit,
      +	recording the contents of the e-mail message as its log.
      +
 3:  08bd397ae7a ! 3:  cbd822d4340 am: support --allow-empty to record specific empty patches
     @@ Documentation/git-am.txt: default.   You can use `--no-utf8` to override this.
       	Defaults to `raw`.
       
      +--allow-empty::
     -+	Record the empty patch as an empty commit with
     ++	After a patch failure on an input e-mail message lacking a patch,
     ++	the user can still record the empty patch as an empty commit with
      +	the contents of the e-mail message as its log.
      +
       DISCUSSION

-- 
gitgitgadget