Subject: [PATCH 0/9] Sparse index: integrate with 'clean', 'checkout-index', 'update-index'

From: "Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 17:36:51 +0000

This series continues the work to integrate commands with the sparse index,
adding integrations with 'git clean', 'git checkout-index', and 'git
update-index'. These three commands, while useful in their own right, are
updated mainly because they're used in 'git stash'. A future series will
integrate sparse index with 'stash' directly, but its subcommands must be
integrated to avoid the performance cost of each one expanding and
collapsing the index.

The series is broken up into 4 parts:

 * Patches 1-2 are minor fixups to the 'git reset' sparse index integration
   in response to discussion [1] that came after the series was ready for
   merge to 'next'.
 * Patch 3 integrates 'git clean' with the sparse index.
 * Patches 4-6 integrate 'git checkout-index' with the sparse index and
   introduce a new '--ignore-skip-worktree-bits' option for use with 'git
   checkout-index --all'.
   * This involves changing the behavior of '--all' to respect
     'skip-worktree' by default (i.e., it won't check out 'skip-worktree'
     files). The '--ignore-skip-worktree-bits' option can be specified to
     force checkout of 'skip-worktree' files, if desired.
 * Patches 7-9 integrate 'git update-index' with the sparse index.
   * Note that, although this integrates the sparse index with
     '--cacheinfo', sparse directories still cannot be updated using that
     option (see the prior discussion [2] for more details on why)

Thanks!

 * Victoria

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/CABPp-BG0iDHf268UAnRyA=0y0T69YTc+bLMdxCmSbrL8s=[email-masked]/

[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Victoria Dye (9):
  reset: fix validation in sparse index test
  reset: reorder wildcard pathspec conditions
  clean: integrate with sparse index
  checkout-index: expand sparse checkout compatibility tests
  checkout-index: add --ignore-skip-worktree-bits option
  checkout-index: integrate with sparse index
  update-index: add tests for sparse-checkout compatibility
  update-index: integrate with sparse index
  update-index: reduce scope of index expansion in do_reupdate

 Documentation/git-checkout-index.txt     |  11 +-
 builtin/checkout-index.c                 |  40 +++-
 builtin/clean.c                          |   3 +
 builtin/reset.c                          |  12 +-
 builtin/update-index.c                   |  17 +-
 read-cache.c                             |  10 +-
 t/perf/p2000-sparse-operations.sh        |   2 +
 t/t1092-sparse-checkout-compatibility.sh | 230 ++++++++++++++++++++++-
 8 files changed, 306 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)

base-commit: dcc0cd074f0c639a0df20461a301af6d45bd582e
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1109%2Fvdye%2Fsparse%2Fupdate-index_checkout-index_clean-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1109/vdye/sparse/update-index_checkout-index_clean-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1109
-- 
gitgitgadget