Subject: [PATCH] getcwd(mingw): handle the case when there is no cwd

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:56:01 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

A recent upstream topic introduced checks for certain Git commands that
prevent them from deleting the current working directory, introducing
also a regression test that ensures that commands such as `git version`
_can_ run without a current working directory.

While technically not possible on Windows via the regular Win32 API, we
do run the regression tests in an MSYS2 Bash which uses a POSIX
emulation layer (the MSYS2/Cygwin runtime) where a really evil hack
_does_ allow to delete a directory even if it is the current working
directory.

Therefore, Git needs to be prepared for a missing working directory,
even on Windows.

This issue was not noticed in upstream Git because there was no caller
that tried to discover a Git directory with a deleted current working
directory in the test suite. But in the microsoft/git fork, we do want
to run `pre-command`/`post-command` hooks for every command, even for
`git version`, which means that we make precisely such a call. The bug
is not in that `pre-command`/`post-command` feature, though, but in
`mingw_getcwd()` and needs to be addressed there.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
    getcwd(mingw): handle the case when there is no current working
    directory
    
    The bug fixed by this topic was noticed due to test failures while
    rebasing Microsoft's fork of Git onto v2.35.0-rc1. It may not be
    desirable to take it into Git v2.35.0 this late in the -rc phase, even
    though I do plan on integrating it into Git for Windows v2.35.0
    [https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/pull/3641].

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1120%2Fdscho%2Fmingw-getcwd-without-cwd-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1120/dscho/mingw-getcwd-without-cwd-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1120

 compat/mingw.c | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/compat/mingw.c b/compat/mingw.c
index 640dcb11de0..03af369b2b9 100644
--- a/compat/mingw.c
+++ b/compat/mingw.c
@@ -1127,6 +1127,10 @@ char *mingw_getcwd(char *pointer, int len)
 	}
 	if (!ret || ret >= ARRAY_SIZE(wpointer))
 		return NULL;
+	if (GetFileAttributesW(wpointer) == INVALID_FILE_ATTRIBUTES) {
+		errno = ENOENT;
+		return NULL;
+	}
 	if (xwcstoutf(pointer, wpointer, len) < 0)
 		return NULL;
 	convert_slashes(pointer);

base-commit: af4e5f569bc89f356eb34a9373d7f82aca6faa8a
-- 
gitgitgadget