Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Makefile: add prove and coverage-prove targets

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 06:56:07 -0800 (PST)

Sometimes there are test failures in the 'pu' branch. This is somewhat
expected for a branch that takes the very latest topics under development,
and those sometimes have semantic conflicts that only show up during test
runs. This also can happen when running the test suite with different
GIT_TEST_* environment variables that interact in unexpected ways.

This causes a problem for the test coverage reports, as the typical 'make
coverage-test coverage-report' run halts at the first failed test. If that
test is early in the suite, then many valuable tests are not exercising the
code and the coverage report becomes noisy with false positives.

This patch adds two targets to the Makefile: 'prove' and 'coverage-prove'.
The idea is to use the 'prove' tool to run the test suite, as it will track
failed tests but continue running the full suite even with a failure.

If/when this merges down, I will use this new target for the automation
around the test coverage reports.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (1):
  Makefile: add prove and coverage-prove targets

 Makefile | 7 +++++++
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+)

base-commit: 0d0ac3826a3bbb9247e39e12623bbcfdd722f24c
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-114%2Fderrickstolee%2Fcoverage-prove-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-114/derrickstolee/coverage-prove-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/114
-- 
gitgitgadget