Subject: [PATCH v3 00/11] Updates to worktree code and docs

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:29:08 +0000

This is built on top of ds/sparse-checkout-requires-per-worktree-config and
includes some forward fixes for comments from that series.

 * Patch 1 combines two translatable messages into one. (Thanks, Jean-Noël)
 * Patches 2-4 extract methods from the already-busy add_worktree() method.
   (Thanks, Eric)
 * Patches 5-11 update git-worktree.txt to use 'worktree' over 'working
   tree'. This involves some rewrapping of the paragraphs, so the diffs are
   not obviously just a find and replace. I split the changes mostly by
   section of the file to keep the diffs from being too large.

Updates in v3
=============

Several typos were fixed:

 * Patch 5: fixed "metata" and "a a" typos.
 * Patch 6: fixed "working directory" typo.
 * Patch 8: fixed typo in Taylor's email.

Updates in v2
=============

Based on Junio and Taylor's review, I updated some language in the docs:

 * Some uses of "worktree" should have stayed as "working tree"
 * Some adjacent wording was improved.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (11):
  worktree: combine two translatable messages
  worktree: extract copy_filtered_worktree_config()
  worktree: extract copy_sparse_checkout()
  worktree: extract checkout_worktree()
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'

 Documentation/git-worktree.txt | 268 ++++++++++++++++-----------------
 builtin/worktree.c             | 138 +++++++++--------
 2 files changed, 209 insertions(+), 197 deletions(-)

base-commit: 3ce113827287079dced9aaf9c5d1e1734ecaa265
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1154%2Fderrickstolee%2Fworktree-forward-fixes-v3
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1154/derrickstolee/worktree-forward-fixes-v3
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1154

Range-diff vs v2:

  1:  a113ed9a844 =  1:  a113ed9a844 worktree: combine two translatable messages
  2:  f8aa87112a8 =  2:  f8aa87112a8 worktree: extract copy_filtered_worktree_config()
  3:  ccc5b1ef9fb =  3:  ccc5b1ef9fb worktree: extract copy_sparse_checkout()
  4:  1e62e4e4fa1 =  4:  1e62e4e4fa1 worktree: extract checkout_worktree()
  5:  2801ae232ae !  5:  4e66cf33648 worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
     @@ Documentation/git-worktree.txt: Manage multiple working trees attached to the sa
      -with a linked working tree, remove it with `git worktree remove`.
      +tree is associated with the repository, along with additional metadata
      +that differentiates that working tree from others in the same repository.
     -+The working tree, along with this metada, is called a "worktree".
     ++The working tree, along with this metadata, is called a "worktree".
      +
      +This new worktree is called a "linked worktree" as opposed to the "main
      +worktree" prepared by linkgit:git-init[1] or linkgit:git-clone[1].
     @@ Documentation/git-worktree.txt: Manage multiple working trees attached to the sa
      -which is not always mounted, you can prevent its administrative files from
      -being pruned by issuing the `git worktree lock` command, optionally
      -specifying `--reason` to explain why the working tree is locked.
     -+If the working tree for a a linked worktree is stored on a portable device
     ++If the working tree for a linked worktree is stored on a portable device
      +or network share which is not always mounted, you can prevent its
      +administrative files from being pruned by issuing the `git worktree lock`
      +command, optionally specifying `--reason` to explain why the worktree is
  6:  a375e4b6ff0 !  6:  704cce17815 worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
     @@ Documentation/git-worktree.txt: branches from there if `<branch>` is ambiguous b
      -reestablish the connection. If multiple linked working trees are moved,
      -running `repair` from any working tree with each tree's new `<path>` as
      -an argument, will reestablish the connection to all the specified paths.
     -+Similarly, if the working directory for a linked worktree is moved without
     ++Similarly, if the working tree for a linked worktree is moved without
      +using `git worktree move`, the main worktree (or bare repository) will be
      +unable to locate it. Running `repair` within the recently-moved worktree
      +will reestablish the connection. If multiple linked worktrees are moved,
  7:  d1c4b687cbc =  7:  bee53e679ff worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
  8:  65a0cd52711 !  8:  0eb374620a7 worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
     @@ Commit message
          The first paragraph of this section was also a bit confusing, so it is
          cleaned up to make it easier to understand.
      
     -    Helped-by: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
     +    Helped-by: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
          Signed-off-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
      
       ## Documentation/git-worktree.txt ##
  9:  e8890134fb4 =  9:  c9afb58d967 worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
 10:  75f0e4ff5c2 = 10:  1e235677ef0 worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'
 11:  1e07383552a = 11:  11ee7e107b4 worktree: use 'worktree' over 'working tree'

-- 
gitgitgadget