Subject: [PATCH 0/3] adding new branch.autosetupmerge option "simple"

From: "Tao Klerks via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 09:45:37 +0000

This commit introduces a new option to the branch.autosetupmerge setting,
"simple", which is intended to be consistent with and complementary to the
push.default "simple" option.

The push.defaut option "simple" helps produce predictable/understandable
behavior for beginners, where they don't accidentally push to the "wrong"
branch in centralized workflows. If they create a local branch with a
different name and then try to do a plain push, it will helpfully fail and
explain why.

However, such users can often find themselves confused by the behavior of
git after they first branch, and before they push. At that stage, their
upstream tracking branch is the original remote branch, and pull (for
example) behaves very differently to how it later does when they create
their own same-name remote branch.

This new option (with push.default set to simple) ensures that push/pull
behavior is generally consistent - tracking will be automatically set up for
branches that push will work for (and pull will be consistent for) only.

Tao Klerks (3):
  merge: new autosetupmerge option 'simple' for matching branches
  t3200: tests for new branch.autosetupmerge option "simple"
  branch documentation: new autosetupmerge option "simple"

 Documentation/config/branch.txt |  4 +++-
 Documentation/git-branch.txt    |  4 +++-
 branch.c                        |  9 +++++++++
 branch.h                        |  1 +
 config.c                        |  3 +++
 t/t3200-branch.sh               | 35 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 54 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: dab1b7905d0b295f1acef9785bb2b9cbb0fdec84
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1161%2FTaoK%2Ffeature-branch-autosetupmerge-simple-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1161/TaoK/feature-branch-autosetupmerge-simple-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1161
-- 
gitgitgadget