Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Separate '--skip-refresh' from '--quiet' in 'reset', use '--quiet' internally in 'stash'

From: "Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 00:08:44 +0000

In the process of working on tests for 'git stash' sparse index integration,
I found that the '--quiet' option in 'git stash' does not suppress all
non-error output when used with '--index'. Specifically, this comes from an
invocation of 'git reset' without the '--quiet' flag in 'reset_head()'. Upon
enabling that flag, though, I discovered that 1) 'reset' does not refresh
the index if '--quiet' is specified (as of [1]) and 2) 'git stash' needs the
index to be refreshed after the reset.

This series aims to decouple the "suppress logging" and "skip index refresh"
behaviors in 'git reset --mixed', then allow 'stash' to internally use reset
with logs suppressed but index refresh enabled. This is accomplished by
introducing the '--[no-]refresh' option and 'reset.refresh' config setting
to 'git reset'. Additionally, in the spirit of backward-compatibility,
'--quiet' and/or 'reset.quiet=true' without any specified "refresh"
option/config will continue to skip 'refresh_index(...)'.

There are also some minor updates to the advice that suggests skipping the
index refresh:

 * replace recommendation to use "--quiet" with "--no-refresh"
 * use 'advise()' rather than 'printf()'
 * rename the advice config setting from 'advice.resetQuiet' to to
   'advice.resetNoRefresh'
 * suppress advice if '--quiet' is specified in 'reset'

Finally, tests are added to 't7102-reset.sh' verifying whether index refresh
happens when expected and to 't3903-stash.sh' verifying that 'apply --quiet'
no longer prints extraneous logs.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks! -Victoria

Victoria Dye (5):
  reset: revise index refresh advice
  reset: introduce --[no-]refresh option to --mixed
  reset: replace '--quiet' with '--no-refresh' in performance advice
  reset: suppress '--no-refresh' advice if logging is silenced
  stash: make internal resets quiet and refresh index

 Documentation/config/advice.txt |  8 +--
 Documentation/git-reset.txt     |  9 ++++
 advice.c                        |  2 +-
 advice.h                        |  2 +-
 builtin/reset.c                 | 21 ++++++--
 builtin/stash.c                 |  5 +-
 t/t3903-stash.sh                | 12 +++++
 t/t7102-reset.sh                | 95 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 8 files changed, 134 insertions(+), 20 deletions(-)

base-commit: 1a4874565fa3b6668042216189551b98b4dc0b1b
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1170%2Fvdye%2Fstash%2Fmake-reset-quiet-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1170/vdye/stash/make-reset-quiet-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1170
-- 
gitgitgadget