Subject: [PATCH] test-lib-functions: fix test_subcommand_inexact

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 20:34:05 +0000

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>

The implementation of test_subcommand_inexact() was originally
introduced in e4d0c11c0 (repack: respect kept objects with '--write-midx
-b', 2021-12-20) with the intention to allow finding a subcommand based
on an initial set of arguments. The inexactness was intended as a way to
allow flexible options beyond that initial set, as opposed to
test_subcommand() which requires that the full list of options is
provided in its entirety.

The implementation began by copying test_subcommand() and replaced the
repeated argument 'printf' statement to append ".*" instead of "," to
each argument. This has a few drawbacks:

1. Most importantly, this repeats the use of ".*" within 'expr', so the
   inexact match is even more flexible than expected. It allows the list
   of arguments to exist as a subsequence (with any other items included
   between those arguments).

2. The line 'expr="$(expr%,}"' that previously removed a trailing comma
   now no longer does anything, since the string ends with ".*".

Both of these issues are fixed by keeping the addition of the comma in
the printf statement, then adding ".*" after stripping out the trailing
comma.

All existing tests continue to pass with this change, since none of them
were taking advantage of this unintended flexibility.

Signed-off-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
---
    test-lib-functions: fix test_subcommand_inexact
    
    This fixes a concern discovered by Junio in [1].
    
    [1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
    
    Thanks, -Stolee

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1185%2Fderrickstolee%2Ftest-subcommand-fix-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1185/derrickstolee/test-subcommand-fix-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1185

 t/test-lib-functions.sh | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/test-lib-functions.sh b/t/test-lib-functions.sh
index 0f439c99d61..8f0e5da8727 100644
--- a/t/test-lib-functions.sh
+++ b/t/test-lib-functions.sh
@@ -1811,8 +1811,8 @@ test_subcommand_inexact () {
 		shift
 	fi
 
-	local expr=$(printf '"%s".*' "$@")
-	expr="${expr%,}"
+	local expr=$(printf '"%s",' "$@")
+	expr="${expr%,}.*"
 
 	if test -n "$negate"
 	then

base-commit: 74cc1aa55f30ed76424a0e7226ab519aa6265061
-- 
gitgitgadget