Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Partial bundle follow ups

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:28:34 +0000

For Junio
=========

This is based on master, which recently took ds/partial-bundles.

There are a couple conflicts with 'seen':

 * rc/fetch-refetch adds the "--refetch" option right next to where I remove
   an instance of CL_ARG__FILTER.
 * tb/cruft-packs updates the add_unseen_recent_objects_to_traversal()
   method, but this series changes one call from using "&revs" to using
   "revs".

Hopefully these are easy conflicts to resolve.

Series Goals
============

These are a few cleanups that were discussed as part of ds/partial-bundles.

 * Patch 1 removes the CL_ARG__FILTER macro.
 * Patches 2-3 help parse --filter directly into a revs.filter member
   instead of copying it from another filter_options.
 * Patches 4-5 add output of the hash function capability in 'git bundle
   verify'. It also moves the capability output to the end, since it looks a
   bit strange in the current location when there are boundary commits.

Series Non-Goals
================

Some items were discussed that I either attempted and dropped, or delayed
for another series:

 * create_bundle() in bundle.c does two commit walks: first to discover the
   boundary commits to write into the bundle header, and then another that
   happens when constructing the pack-file. It looks like this could be
   avoided if there will not be any boundary, but there are additional
   checks in write_bundle_refs() that look for the SHOWN bit on the commit
   objects in order to determine if a requested ref would be excluded by the
   rev-list options. This behavior seems important, so I did not remove it.

 * 'git clone --bare partial.bdl" should work when partial.bdl is a partial
   bundle. However, this requires changing the way we configure partial
   cloned repositories to not rely on a remote in order to understand an
   object filter. I'm working on this as a parallel series that will likely
   require more discussion than these small cleanups.

 * Ævar pointed out some newly-visible memory leaks due to moving the filter
   out of a static global. After looking at the recommended change, it seems
   that we actually need to be more careful about freeing the revs and not
   just revs.filter.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (5):
  list-objects-filter: remove CL_ARG__FILTER
  pack-objects: move revs out of get_object_list()
  pack-objects: parse --filter directly into revs.filter
  bundle: move capabilities to end of 'verify'
  bundle: output hash information in 'verify'

 Documentation/git-bundle.txt  | 10 +++++-----
 builtin/fetch-pack.c          |  4 ++--
 builtin/pack-objects.c        | 37 +++++++++++++++++------------------
 bundle.c                      | 11 ++++++-----
 list-objects-filter-options.h |  5 +----
 revision.c                    |  4 ++--
 t/t6020-bundle-misc.sh        | 26 ++++++++++++++++--------
 7 files changed, 52 insertions(+), 45 deletions(-)

base-commit: f01e51a7cfd75131b7266131b1f7540ce0a8e5c1
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1186%2Fderrickstolee%2Fpartial-bundle-follow-up-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1186/derrickstolee/partial-bundle-follow-up-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1186
-- 
gitgitgadget