Subject: [PATCH] Added Curl Option to Override Request Method

From: "Drew Green via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:01:34 +0000

From: agreenbhm <[email-masked]>

Added support for environment variable "CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST"
to allow setting the curl option to override the default request
method used by HTTP Git operations.  Primary reason for this is to
allow support for cloning repositories where only GET requests
are allowed but not POSTs.  When cloning a repo first a GET is
made to the server and then a POST is made to the "git-upload-pack"
endpoint.  In some corporate environments with strong controls
only GET requests are allowed to known repository hosts (such
as GitHub) to prevent data leakage by sending data.  Using this
new environmental variable, a user can set
"CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST=GET" which will change the second request
from a POST to a GET, bypassing web proxy restrictions on the type
of requests allowed.  Tested with GitHub, changing the request
from POST to GET still results in the expected behavior of the
repo successfully being cloned.

Signed-off-by: agreenbhm <[email-masked]>
---
    Added Curl Option to Override Request Method
    
    Added support for environment variable "CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST" to allow
    setting the curl option to override the default request method used by
    HTTP Git operations. Primary reason for this is to allow support for
    cloning repositories where only GET requests are allowed but not POSTs.
    When cloning a repo first a GET is made to the server and then a POST is
    made to the "git-upload-pack" endpoint. In some corporate environments
    with strong controls only GET requests are allowed to known repository
    hosts (such as GitHub) to prevent data leakage by sending data. Using
    this new environmental variable, a user can set
    "CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST=GET" which will change the second request from a
    POST to a GET, bypassing web proxy restrictions on the type of requests
    allowed. Tested with GitHub, changing the request from POST to GET still
    results in the expected behavior of the repo successfully being cloned.
    
    Signed-off-by: agreenbhm [email-masked]

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1225%2Fagreenbhm%2Fmaster-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1225/agreenbhm/master-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1225

 http.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/http.c b/http.c
index 229da4d1488..2ca13b848a5 100644
--- a/http.c
+++ b/http.c
@@ -1235,6 +1235,8 @@ struct active_request_slot *get_active_slot(void)
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH, http_auth_methods);
 	if (http_auth.password || curl_empty_auth_enabled())
 		init_curl_http_auth(slot->curl);
+	if(getenv("CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST"))
+		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST, getenv("CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST"));
 
 	return slot;
 }

base-commit: 6cd33dceed60949e2dbc32e3f0f5e67c4c882e1e
-- 
gitgitgadget