Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Die preserve ggg

From: "Philip Oakley via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 09:21:02 +0000

This short series is a follow up to GitGitGadget "Update the die()
preserve-merges messages to help some users (PR #1155)" [1].

The first patch is a tidy up of the --preserve option to highlight that it
is now Deleted, rather than Deprecated.

In response to Avar's comments that the former error message merely
'tantilised without telling' the user what to do, it became obvious that the
underling problem was that the user was unable to git rebase --abort which
was also fatal, when a preserve-rebase was in progress.

Thus the main update is to allow the rebase --abort command, even when a
--preserve is in progress, to proceed. The --abort code was unchanged by the
removal of the preserve option, as the resetting and clean up of internal
state is common to the other rebase options.

The user facing fatal message now simply advises to abort, or downgrade to a
version that has preserve-merges to complete the rebase.

The final patch highlights that some IDEs still allow the setting of the
preserve-merges option as a pull config setup.

Philip Oakly

[1] GitLore ref [email-masked]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Philip Oakley (3):
  rebase.c: state preserve-merges has been removed
  rebase: help users when dying with `preserve-merges`
  rebase: note `preserve` merges may be a pull config option

 builtin/rebase.c | 11 +++++++----
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

base-commit: c4f0e309ae745751d08727f24e8ff55e56355755
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1242%2FPhilipOakley%2Fdie_preserve_ggg-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1242/PhilipOakley/die_preserve_ggg-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1242
-- 
gitgitgadget