Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Safe-guard the Windows code a bit more against getenv() problems

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 07:17:44 -0800 (PST)

We saw a couple of getenv() cleanups, where we now immediately duplicate the
return value of getenv() in order to avoid problems. However, I am really
uncomfortable with the current value (30) of GETENV_MAX_RETAIN in 
compat/mingw.c: it strikes me as low, given that the average number of 
getenv() call per Git process in Git's test suite is already 40.

I'd really like to increase it, even if it won't help problems where 
getenv() is called in a loop whose number of iteration depends on user input
(like the problem fixed in 6776a84dae (diff: ensure correct lifetime of
external_diff_cmd, 2019-01-11)). It will still fend off plenty of other
cases, I believe.

And yes, it's in my TODOs to look back over those getenv() issues after
v2.21.0 (see https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/pull/2019 for my
progress).

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  mingw: safe-guard a bit more against getenv() problems

 compat/mingw.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 2d08f3deb9feb73dc8d21d75bfd367839fc1322c
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-127%2Fdscho%2Fmingw-retain-more-getenv-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-127/dscho/mingw-retain-more-getenv-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/127
-- 
gitgitgadget