Subject: [PATCH] vscode: improve tab size and wrapping

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:29:47 +0000

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>

The contrib/vscode/init.sh script initializes the .vscode directory with
some helpful metadata so VS Code handles Git code better.

One big issue that VS Code has is detecting the tab width based on file
type. ".txt" files were not covered by this script before, so add them
with the appropriate tab widths. This prevents inserting spaces instead
of tabs and keeps the tab width to eight instead of four or two.

While we are here, remove the "editor.wordWrap" settings. The editor's
word wrap is only cosmetic: it does not actually insert newlines when
your typing goes over the column limit. This can make it appear like you
have properly wrapped code, but it is incorrect. Further, existing code
that is over the column limit is wrapped even if your editor window is
wider than the limit. This can make reading such code more difficult.
Without these lines, VS Code renders the lines accurately, without
"ghost" newlines.

Signed-off-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
---
    vscode: improve tab size and wrapping
    
    I've been using these settings myself for a few weeks now. Fixed some
    problems I saw in recent submissions.
    
    Abhradeep was having similar issues, which drove me to actually submit
    the change.
    
    Thanks, -Stolee

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1271%2Fderrickstolee%2Fvscode-improvements-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1271/derrickstolee/vscode-improvements-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1271

 contrib/vscode/init.sh | 8 ++++++--
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/contrib/vscode/init.sh b/contrib/vscode/init.sh
index f139fd86444..521d3037225 100755
--- a/contrib/vscode/init.sh
+++ b/contrib/vscode/init.sh
@@ -25,8 +25,12 @@ cat >.vscode/settings.json.new <<\EOF ||
         "editor.detectIndentation": false,
         "editor.insertSpaces": false,
         "editor.tabSize": 8,
-        "editor.wordWrap": "wordWrapColumn",
-        "editor.wordWrapColumn": 80,
+        "files.trimTrailingWhitespace": true
+    },
+    "[txt]": {
+        "editor.detectIndentation": false,
+        "editor.insertSpaces": false,
+        "editor.tabSize": 8,
         "files.trimTrailingWhitespace": true
     },
     "files.associations": {

base-commit: e4a4b31577c7419497ac30cebe30d755b97752c5
-- 
gitgitgadget