Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Use "allowlist" and "denylist" tree-wide

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:20:47 +0000

The terms "allowlist" and "denylist" are self-defining. One "allows" things
while the other "denies" things.

These are better terms over "whitelist" and "blacklist" which require prior
knowledge of the terms or cultural expectations around what each color
"means".

This series replaces (almost) all uses of these terms with allowlist and
denylist. The only exceptions are in release notes for older Git versions.

There is no meaningful functional change, although one logging message in
daemon.c is changed and I'm unfamiliar with exactly how that might be
consumed.

Some recommend using "blocklist", but I personally prefer "denylist". To me,
"blocking" something seems permanent. "Denying" something seems ephemeral
and related to a specific request being denied due to some (possibly
mutable) state. I'm open to suggestions here. There are many fewer
replacements needed in this case.

I did not make any change to our CodingGuidelines. Hopefully having clear
usage throughout the codebase will be enough to promote using consistent
terminology.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (3):
  Documentation: use allowlist and denylist
  t/*: use allowlist
  *: use allowlist and denylist

 Documentation/git-cvsserver.txt |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-daemon.txt    | 10 +++++-----
 Documentation/git.txt           |  2 +-
 daemon.c                        |  8 ++++----
 git-cvsserver.perl              |  2 +-
 sha1dc/sha1.c                   | 12 ++++++------
 t/README                        |  4 ++--
 t/lib-proto-disable.sh          |  6 +++---
 t/t5812-proto-disable-http.sh   |  2 +-
 t/t5815-submodule-protos.sh     |  4 ++--
 t/t9400-git-cvsserver-server.sh |  2 +-
 t/test-lib-functions.sh         |  2 +-
 t/test-lib.sh                   |  2 +-
 transport.c                     |  8 ++++----
 14 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)

base-commit: e4a4b31577c7419497ac30cebe30d755b97752c5
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1274%2Fderrickstolee%2Fallow-deny-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1274/derrickstolee/allow-deny-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1274
-- 
gitgitgadget