Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Avoid calling find in the Makefile, if possible

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 11:57:45 -0800 (PST)

I noticed this quite a bit of time ago, but did not get a chance to look
into it in detail: all of a sudden, make started really slowly over here.

The culprit turned out to be a find call, which was in the Makefile for
ages, so I was puzzled why it only caused problems recently.

After some digging, I found out that the hdr-check target is the culprit:
before it was introduced, $(LIB_H) did not need to be expanded, and as a
consequence the find call was not executed. Once hdr-check made it into 
master, though, $(LIB_H) must be expanded to define that rule.

Since I have tons of worktrees as subdirectories of my principal Git clone,
and since I also have a 3rdparty/ directory with tons of repositories I use
for various testing/contributing purposes, this find is quite a little slow
over here.

So here is my suggested fix. It is based on similar code we already had in
the Makefile, obviously also intended to avoid an expensive find invocation.

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  Makefile: use `git ls-files` to list header files, if possible

 Makefile | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: c65a2884eae159bad540135479bc8afe20ff62d1
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-130%2Fdscho%2Favoid-find-in-makefile-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-130/dscho/avoid-find-in-makefile-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/130
-- 
gitgitgadget