Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Allow --ancestry-path to take an argument

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 02:48:16 +0000

This came out of a previous thread[1], where I wanted to be able to run
something like

git log --oneline --ancestry-path=ab/submodule-cleanup main..seen

and see the commits in main..seen which contained ab/submodule-cleanup in
their ancestry path. Let me start by defining the terminology "X is in a
commit's ancestry path". By that, I just mean that either the commit is X,
the commit is an ancestor of X, or the commit is a descendant of X. With
that definition...

The command

git log --ancestry-path A..B

means find the commits in A..B which contain A in their ancestry path. I
sometimes still want to use A..B to get the basic range, but would like to
use a commit other than A for specifying which ancestry path is of interest.
So, for example, I might want to use

git log --ancestry-path=C A..B

to mean find the commits in A..B which contain C in their ancestry path, or
use

git log --ancestry-path=C --ancestry-path=D A..B

to mean find the commits in A..B which contain either C or D in their
ancestry path.

This series implements this request, by allowing --ancestry-path to take an
optional argument. With it, I can find the answer to my question in the
thread at [1] within the git.git repository (replacing branch names with
actual hashes since the branches have since moved on):

$ git log --oneline --ancestry-path=5b893f7d81 8168d5e9c2..ac0248bfba | wc -l
36

This returns the answer I want, whereas dropping the '=5b893f7d81' from the
command line gives me 192 unwanted commits (228 total), and various other
command line flags (--first-parent, --boundary, etc.) also fail to give me
the set of commits I am looking for.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Elijah Newren (2):
  rev-list-options.txt: fix simple typo
  revision: allow --ancestry-path to take an argument

 Documentation/rev-list-options.txt | 47 +++++++++++++----
 object.h                           |  2 +-
 revision.c                         | 83 ++++++++++++++++++++----------
 revision.h                         |  3 ++
 t/t6019-rev-list-ancestry-path.sh  | 47 ++++++++++++++++-
 5 files changed, 140 insertions(+), 42 deletions(-)

base-commit: 6a475b71f8c4ce708d69fdc9317aefbde3769e25
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1303%2Fnewren%2Fancestry-path-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1303/newren/ancestry-path-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1303
-- 
gitgitgadget