Subject: [PATCH] Documentation/git-reflog: remove unneeded \ from \{

From: "Glen Choo via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 21:04:45 +0000

From: Glen Choo <[email-masked]>

There are some inconsistencies with how different asciidoc environments
handle different combinations of "\{<>}", e.g. these results were
observed with asciidoc on two different environments:

  | Input     | Output (env A) | Output (env B)   | same/different |
  |-----------+----------------+------------------+----------------|
  | \{<foo>\} | {&lt;foo&gt;}  | \{&lt;foo&gt;}^M | different      |
  | {<foo>}   | {&lt;foo&gt;}  | {&lt;foo&gt;}    | same           |
  | \{<foo>}  | {&lt;foo&gt;}  | \{&lt;foo&gt;}^M | different      |
  | \{foo\}   | {foo}          | {foo}            | same           |
  | \{\}      | {}             | \{}^M            | different      |
  | \{}       | {}             | {}               | same           |
  | {\}       | {}             | {}               | same           |

The only instance of this biting us is "@\{<specifier>\}" in
Documentation/git-reflog.txt; all other combinations of "\{<>}" (e.g. in
Documentation/revisions.txt) seem to render consistently.

Fix this inconsistent rendering by removing the unnecessary "\" in
Documentation/git-reflog.txt.

Signed-off-by: Glen Choo <[email-masked]>
---
    Documentation/git-reflog: remove unneeded \ from {
    
    I noticed this inconsistency as I was trying to build Git docs with
    Google's internal build system. This string seems particularly
    problematic e.g. you can see unnecessary "\" on
    https://git-scm.com/docs/git-reflog#_description.
    
    I'm not proficient in asciidoc at all, but I suspect that this isn't
    tied to the asciidoc version; I initially observed these differences in
    environments with different versions of asciidoc (9.0.0 and 10.2.0) but
    I can't reproduce this at all on my Mac using different versions of
    asciidoc and asciidoctor from Homebrew. Perhaps the issue is in some
    underlying library?

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1304%2Fchooglen%2Fdocumentation%2Fbackslash-brace-asciidoc-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1304/chooglen/documentation/backslash-brace-asciidoc-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1304

 Documentation/git-reflog.txt | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-reflog.txt b/Documentation/git-reflog.txt
index 5ced7ad4f8b..db9d46edfa9 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-reflog.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-reflog.txt
@@ -22,7 +22,7 @@ depending on the subcommand:
 	[--rewrite] [--updateref] [--stale-fix]
 	[--dry-run | -n] [--verbose] [--all [--single-worktree] | <refs>...]
 'git reflog delete' [--rewrite] [--updateref]
-	[--dry-run | -n] [--verbose] <ref>@\{<specifier>\}...
+	[--dry-run | -n] [--verbose] <ref>@{<specifier>}...
 'git reflog exists' <ref>
 
 Reference logs, or "reflogs", record when the tips of branches and

base-commit: 23b219f8e3f2adfb0441e135f0a880e6124f766c
-- 
gitgitgadget