Subject: [PATCH 0/7] Generalize 'scalar diagnose' into 'git bugreport --diagnose'

From: "Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 21:14:51 +0000

As part of the preparation for moving Scalar out of 'contrib/' and into Git,
this series moves the functionality of 'scalar diagnose' into a new option
('--diagnose') for 'git bugreport'. This change further aligns Scalar with
the objective [1] of having it only contain functionality and settings that
benefit large Git repositories, but not all repositories. The diagnostics
reported by 'scalar diagnose' relevant for investigating issues in any Git
repository, so generating them should be part of a "normal" Git builtin.

An alternative implementation considered was creating a new 'git diagnose'
builtin, but the new command would end up duplicating much of
'builtin/bugreport.c'. Although that issue could be overcome with
refactoring, I didn't see a major UX benefit of 'git diagnose' vs 'git
bugreport --diagnose', so I went with the latter, simpler approach.

Finally, despite 'scalar diagnose' now being nothing more than a wrapper for
'git bugreport --diagnose', it is not being deprecated in this series.
Although deprecation -> removal could be a future cleanup effort, 'scalar
diagnose' is kept around for now as an alias for users already accustomed to
using it in 'scalar'.

Thanks!

 * Victoria

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Victoria Dye (7):
  scalar: use "$GIT_UNZIP" in 'scalar diagnose' test
  builtin/bugreport.c: create '--diagnose' option
  builtin/bugreport.c: avoid size_t overflow
  builtin/bugreport.c: add directory to archiver more gently
  builtin/bugreport.c: add '--no-report' option
  scalar: use 'git bugreport --diagnose' in 'scalar diagnose'
  scalar: update technical doc roadmap

 Documentation/git-bugreport.txt    |  17 +-
 Documentation/technical/scalar.txt |   9 +-
 builtin/bugreport.c                | 302 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 contrib/scalar/scalar.c            | 271 +-------------------------
 contrib/scalar/t/t9099-scalar.sh   |   8 +-
 t/t0091-bugreport.sh               |  29 +++
 6 files changed, 358 insertions(+), 278 deletions(-)

base-commit: 23b219f8e3f2adfb0441e135f0a880e6124f766c
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1310%2Fvdye%2Fscalar%2Fgeneralize-diagnose-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1310/vdye/scalar/generalize-diagnose-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1310
-- 
gitgitgadget